Friday, September 3, 2010

Blog #2

Did You Know?
"For students earning a four year technical degree this means that half of what they learn in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study". As a student, that TERRIFIES me. Is all of this advanced technology necessary? It is becoming to look that way. Computers in every classroom, ipods in every hand, and a number of text messages that exceeds the total population of the planet?!
At first I thought this class was going to be a waste of time for me. I thought I knew everything about computers that would be needed for a classroom. I am beginning to realize, I know the bare minimum. Just enough to get by. With computer technology advancing at such a fast pace, there is no telling what the future of a classroom will be.
Will there be any books in years to come? Or will it all be electronic? "In 2049, a $1000 computer will exceed the computational capabilities of the entire human race". That seems almost robotic! Will this type of advancement be good for society?...For the world??? This video reminded me of the country song by Brad Paisley, Welcome To The Future. All of the advancements that have taken place. What would our ancestors think? I really enjoyed this video, it was a real "eye opener". If you would like to watch it you could click on the link below.
Karl Fisch's Video
Mr. Winkle Wakes
This video is almost mind ratteling. I believe that when necessary for a school to "up grade", small steps should be taken to do whatever is needed. If a change in curriculum is required, then let there be change! When these children graduate, what will they have learned that is to be valuable enough for a good job?..or to even get into a good college? Most colleges require you to fill out an application online!
If schools do not teach up to date computer classes, then when the students get into the real world, what will happen? It is very important teachers and well as students to be up to date with matters such as this. If something new comes along every two years, then new things should be taught every two years. Why wait? If you would like to watch Mr. Winkle Wakes, just click on the link below!
Rip Van Winkle's Video
The Importance of Creativity
"If you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with anything original". In this speech, Ken Robinson talks about the fear of being wrong and making mistakes, and we are now running educational systems where the worst thing that could possibly happen is make a mistake. The result? We are educating people out of their creative capacities.
Ken Robinson believes that we do not grow into creativity, we get educated out of it. I'm not sure if I agree with that statement. An artist has to be taught to write. A musician has to be taught the notes. An athlete has to be taught how to play. He believes that children pretty much are born knowing things. If children are given this talent, who will recognize it? Teachers in the schools system.
He is almost acting upset that the public education system gets children ready to go to universities. Wouldn't that be one main reason for high school? The public school systems, and private might I add, are the systems in this society that find where children really flourish academically and physically. Whether the child is very good at math, or as he used in his example, a great dancer. Without the school system, they would have never known Gillian Lynne had such talent. I believe he is placing too much criticism on the public school systems. He is not giving them enough credit. If you would like to watch this speaker, he really is quite humorous, I guess I just see things differently than he does?
Ken Robinson's Video
Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
Mrs. Davis is exactly the kind of teacher we need teaching in our school system in today's society. She is teaching her students the advancements in technology. She creates an atmosphere in her classroom that makes students curious and want to learn more about technology. She is preparing them for the real world.
Mrs. Davis in her video, is the kind of teacher that seems to learn as she teaches, not just before hand getting a lesson ready. She interacts with her students on the computer. Not only assigning homework and whatnot, but actually making class fun for them. I do believe, for the future of our society, we need more teachers like Mrs. Davis to keep children, and other teacher at that, up to date. If you would like to see Mrs. Davis in her classroom, you may click on the link below! I really recommend it!
Vicki Davis's Video

1 comment:

  1. Great observations Erin!

    One thing you said stuck out with me. You said, "At first I thought this class was going to be a waste of time for me. I thought I knew everything about computers that would be needed for a classroom. I am beginning to realize, I know the bare minimum." I know exactly how you feel. In fact the more I learn the more I know there is so much more to learn. Keeping a strong awareness of this fact will help you stay up on things because you will always be open to learning new things.

    Your blog is looking great! Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete